Friday, March 27, 2020

Concert Band Lesson during COVID-19 remote learning

Here's a Canvas Lesson I've assigned to Concert Band 9th Graders on March 22, 2020 Due March 27.

Hello Concert Band Musicians,
I'm lonely for you all.  Hope you're all healthy and trying to make the most of this isolation from our learning community. Having no class and no performances can really make you reevaluate your motivation ... which can be a good thing.   
I'm practicing quite a bit (many times per day) and have also learned some new things ... especially how to Zoom. I really enjoyed our Wednesday Zoom meeting and I'd like to schedule another one for this week at 2 PM ... plan for 30 minutes? We had over 60% of the class login and people looked and sounded happy and supportive. 
Band is a social class and I think it's important to share your successes and struggles with each other.  Not many folks completed the online written assignment from last week :(
Note: I notice when I practice the same stuff every day that it keeps getting better. I've been playing the same simple Beethoven piano piece since January and it's slowly improving. I'm sure you've noticed this too ... strive to keep track of what is improving through effort and dedication.
The weather has been great so I'm outdoors quite a bit and hope you are too (forest bathing?).
As I've said before, I'm trying to post some type of enrichment lesson each Monday.  For this lesson you'll need your instrument, chromebook or phone, music stand, pencil, metronome, tuner (tonal energy?) and sheet music (fussell book and Essential Technique 2000 book).
These lessons are still optional until further notice. I'm really hoping we can get back to school this in May.  Thanks for all your support sharing the GALA Auction with your sphere of influence. It's gonna pretty well considering.  Take look at the items? It's over today. I'm buying some cool stuff.  shorturl.at/dsyA2 (Links to an external site.) - share it?
If we do come back to school in May, I'd love our finale concert on June 9th to be a real celebration of our perseverance and grit. We will play our 2 contest pieces and at least one more new piece "to be determined".
2 parts to this lesson: 
1) warm up and/or video creativity - CREATIVITY ... do as much or as little as you like
2) Book Etude p 21 Pavanne - DISCIPLINE
First the warm up ... use this video to as a metronome with a personality? Mostly for FUN
Record your part (see attached photo) and create a video which we can share with each other ... make it fun?  The Fussell book is a tool we use in Wind Symphony daily.  It's full of good exercises which can be played by all instruments.
Load your performance video to a site where it can be shared via url link like wevideo or vimeo etcAdditional challenge, download the Acapella App and play along with it with this Cuban Countoff.  
Then share ... these will be evaluated by your peers. I'm a novice at Acapella but hoping some of you may collaborate in advance and I'll end up learning more as a result of what you share. Hint: you don't actually have to follow the instructions in Mr. B's video either.
Then write a little bit about your process and how you decided to approach this creative assignment.
Second - p. 21 Pavanne
a) Practice the etude and work on your tone and vibrato.  
b) notice that this lesson has also been created in SmartMusic and join that class and try the platform to see what you think. I'm struggling a bit with SmartMusic so you'll need to be patient most likely.  It's a little glitchy but may be a cool new way to avoid the need for so many video tests. 
Here's our class code
_________________

No comments:

Post a Comment