Thursday, March 19, 2020

COVID-19 & School Band Lesson Ideas

Hello All,

Posting some of my communications to my students here regarding the new Pandemic and how I am proceeding as a band teacher at Edmonds-Woodway High School. Wishing health to anyone taking time to read this. 

Best, Jake

Hello Band Folks,
 
We are definitely in uncharted waters in America due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  I'm wishing the best for all of you and your families for continued health during these unique times. I’m missing you. 
 
Please try to stay in communication by signing up for Remind Messages and also checking to be sure that your Skyward Contact information is accurate.
Visit school district for more information. 
 
 
Our school protocols are not clearly defined at this time but it seems clear that you won't be assigned grade bearing assignments during this crisis. However I'd like to be responsible and continue to help you stay motivated so I hope you'll read my weekly emails. I hope to be emailing all of you (via SKYWARD) only 1x per week on Mondays.  I may or may not email next Monday due to previously scheduled Spring Break.  Please check Canvas at least 1x per week. 
 
Today during the Governor's address residents were just asked to try to patronize local shops and restaurants by ordering takeout. Also he asked folks to continue to support Arts Organizations.  Notice the Gala is online with links including charityauction.bid/EWMusicBoostersRoaring20sh
 
Music can be a great part of keeping a daily routine while away from school bells and each other. I'm a fan of routine and hope you're trying to keep some healthy habits like:
1) daily exercise
2) healthy diet
3) reading
4) playing music
5) regular sleep habits
6) having fun 
 
Here's an interesting article regarding maintaining mental health during times of hardship. There are some good tips here which may help you or help you to help others. 
 
 
Remember to practice social distancing and help “flatten the curve”.
 
As I like to say: "put something beautiful in your life every day".  Now would be a good time to find some melodies that are special to you and your family and learn them. Take your time ... track your progress.
 
I will add that you should use this crisis to increase your "self-reliance quotient".  I was tested this morning and I woke up to a broken microwave. Instead of calling the appliance repair folks to come take a look (and violate the social distance idea) I googled the solution.  I'm grateful that I replaced the fuse and our microwave is working again. 
 
Onto something musical.... 
I have been a fan of Pat Metheny since I was in 8th grade.  He's an a amazing musician, composer and also a great speaker. For those interested in the intersection of brain science and music, you might find this  thought provoking.  Warning that some of the sound examples have been removed for copyright issues but if you have youtube, you can likely take a break and go hear them outside of the presentation. The other frustration is that the slide show they keep referring to is not visible in the video.
 
 
Of note to me were his answers during Q&A near the end especially 1:17 "How do you cultivate a sense of narrative" in a solo. Also 1:30 "what was the most valuable insight that music gave you"? His answers are worth pointing out to all serious music students. 
 
I'm looking forward to putting this event behind us as soon as possible and hoping that through this adversity we all learn something new about each other and ourselves. 
 
Also keep track of the free live broadcasts by the Seattle Symphony?
 
Feel free to email me with questions and I'll do my best to help you to continue your musical development during our hiatus.
 
Best to you! 
 
--
Jake Bergevin
Director of Bands & Department Chairperson
Edmonds-Woodway High School


Hi Concert Band Folks,

I'm thinking of you and thought we may learn today by gathering on a video conference meeting through Zoom to see how you're doing. You will not need your instrument for this meeting.
I miss rehearsing and without regular rehearsals and upcoming concerts we can lose our focus for practice. I'm hoping by getting together we might do a "wellness check" in and also share a bit about how things are going in regards to Music and Learning. The meeting should be about 15 minutes but might go a bit longer as we're all new to this.
Read the previous optional assignment and also notice the skyward messages I've sent? Mondays in band class usually included 5-10 minutes of chromebook time to check calendars, emails, skyward and canvas. I think that's still a good idea.  
This meeting is optional and if it's not convenient for you or you'd rather not attend, that's totally fine.  
Jake Bergevin is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Lesson posted to Canvas on March 16, 2020

Good Morning Band People!  
This is a short writing assignment. 3 or 4 sentences is plenty ... please no more than 200 words max. After reading all of this and enjoying another day.  Write a short summary of what you did to improve your musicianship and post it here on canvas for peer review.
So here we are Presuming Good Intentions in March and trying to turn an obstacle into an opportunity.  All of these lessons are to keep you playing but at this point have no bearing on your grade.  I hope you're motivated to be your best with or without grades :)
A quick review of our monthly virtues:
1) I am grateful I have you as students and that there is internet.
2) I am patient and realize online learning will test this virtue.
3) I will demonstrate perseverance through the frustration in order to keep growing.
4) I care about you and am glad you care about each other. Be kind to yourself during social distancing protocols.
5) I am going to be reviewing and refining the 7 Ps of Collaboration through this process. Take a look at this list link?
I am planning to learn quite a bit more about online teaching and am glad to approaching this with a Growth Mindset.  I hope you all have all the tools you need for success in music while at home. Tools you'll need include:
1) charged chromebook or smart phone (maybe both) - internet connectivity
2) instrument - in good working condition
3) place to practice where you feel safe and unjudged - straight chair
4) MUSIC, music stand and proper lighting - if you need your stuff from school, call the main office and see when they may be available to help you get into the band room and reclaim it. 425-431-6002 is Mrs. Scott
5) pencil and paper
6) other materials that will help but not be required 
a) metronome
b) another device to take notes on separate from your camera
c) headphones
d) separate microphone
e) amplifier or bluetooth speaker to make play alongs  or metronome louder
f) power strip to keep all your digital items fully charged
g) I'm planning for you to use the camera so be fully dressed and warn other folks in the home that you'll be video conferencing so to stay clear :)
Mostly for fun - Here's a quick call & response drill you could do with me from a series I recorded in Cuba in 2017
Go work on this website for 5 minutes with only your computer (no instrument) and use the space bar to tap rhythms.
Now try it with your instrument - did you try headphones?  What do you think?
Keep track of your levels and challenge yourself to do this every day for 1 week ... notice if you feel like it's helping you improve.
ZOOM with me?
Today I will attend a zoom meeting with some other staff ... I taught my first private lesson with zoom yesterday and I think it's pretty nifty.  Hopefully I'll be shooting you some zoom assignments so we can all get back together but I still don't know how this will work.  I think I'll try to practice with Concert Band zooming tomorrow (Wednesday) at 2:15 PM for only 15 minutes.  Then I'll collect some feedback and see if it's worth doing again. Check skyward email for the invitation?
Remember about MusicTheory.Net - focus on Interval lessons and drills
Thanks to Mrs. Charlotte Reese for sharing this activity brainstorm tool ...
Enrichment Ideas ... MUSIC (kind of like BINGO) - try for a blackout?
M
U
S
I
C
Call a friend and play together using zoom or skype
Play or Sing while you walk or do chores
Call an elderly person and play over the phone
Listen to something new
Read or Write a poem and create a responsive melody 
Play for a parent or guardian
Share your favorite song with someone special
Take a walk and listen to nature.
Play for a child ...phone?
Play along with the radio
Read some music on piano
Check on a neighbor
FREE SPACE
IMPROV!
Watch a movie and notice the music
Write ideas of next years’ class
Play a video game, notice the music
Email your teacher about what you have been doing.
Write a parody song based on COVID-19?
MusicTheory.net
Listen to silence
Write/journal about your experience during break
Listen to your parents’ or grandparents' music using youtube?
Ask your grandparents about their favorite music or a story of dancing
Wash your hands
Use the SightReadingFactory
 Hello All,
 
Today I’m hosting an optional Zoom Video Conference Meeting for a short time today at 2:15 PM.  I have sent instructions through Canvas about best practices while video conferencing. Today’s conference is mostly to visually and verbally check in with each other and gauge our interest in staying in touch and also planning agenda items for continued Music Learning. We won’t know if Zoom is useful until we try.
 
I’m suggesting many different platforms for you to use your technology to improve your musicianship while we’re away.  However, if tech presents a problem at your house, you can still make big strides if you’ll just create a routine, stick to it and try to keep track of it.  Remember all the great lists we’ve discussed this year … 4 T’s = time, tone, technique, tonguing, 4 i’s = identify, isolate, iterate, integrate, and more. 
 
In addition to SightReadingFactory you may also want to start exploring SmartMusic. 
 
In order to get involved with SmartMusic, you will need an account code. Here it is … it’s free for now.  Please don’t plan to purchase anything.
 
1) Open your chrome browser and head to: 
2) Enter the class code for Concert Band 2020 – ............
3) Follow instructions and start learning … too many cool tools to list here. 
 
Smart Music supports our class etude book Essential Technique 2000 book 3.  If you left your book at EWHS call the main office and make an appointment to go pick it up (may not be a great plan due to COVID-19 warnings) and/or email a friend to email you some photos or scans of the pages.
 
My favorite part of SmartMusic is that they have thousands of piano accompaniments to solo/ensemble literature.  Ensemble music will likely be put on the back burner during this hiatus so focusing on your personal technique and building your solo skills are the main direction. 
 
Hope to see you on the Zoom appointment today. Check canvas for more info.
 
Mr. B
bergevinj@edmonds.wednet.edu


No comments:

Post a Comment